Monday, March 12, 2007

read this short story (1 - Beauty)

Sorry about the start. This is for a competition over here that requires me to include a four legged animal, a martini glass and fog. It also has to start with the grammatical nightmare 'When from out of nowhere...'

Beauty

When from out of nowhere she appeared in my life I thought I was dreaming. How soon I learned that only waking hours can provide a man with such pain; and even our worst nightmares cannot torture us as much as beauty can.

It seemed only ten minutes, but we had been talking for hours. We stared into each other’s eyes as I stole sips of martini from her lipstick-stained glass. She was perfection personified; her loveliness unmatched by anyone.

So when - hidden within an embarrassed whisper - she suggested continuing the conversation (and romance) elsewhere I felt my heart skip.

The fog that had descended hid us from prying eyes as we stumbled, kissed and groped our way towards the waiting taxis. However the same cloud that I thought had been heaven sent also hid our nemesis from us until it was too late.

Piercing the night’s silence echoed a shout of such wonder that both of us stopped mid-stride. Enthralled I turned towards the shape that was galloping towards us from the masked interior of the mist.

It was a horse, but also something else. Out of its forehead protruded a long silver horn that glimmered by its own light, as if there was a candle slowly burning within it. That night I witnessed a truly fantastic creature, as intimidating as it was impressive.

As it thundered past me the cry bellowed again, followed by a horrifying silence.

My Angel was lying in the road, writhing in pain after the collision with the beast. As she twisted in agony with her blood leaking onto the street I hung my head and cried. When she stopped breathing I stared into her eyes and lamented ever witnessing such a beautiful creature, for only misery had followed it.

3 comments:

Lucy Ann Wade said...

I think it's a good story, I like your phrasing and the pace of it, though I was confused by what happened at the end - did the narrator's lady friend get hit by a car, or did the horse get hit? Or was the horse the car? I'm a bit hungover, so I hope you don't take that negatively! I think I'm just being slow!

You can publish stories online at places like www.pulp.net (they pay £100), www.umbrellastories.com and www.virtualwriter.net/submissions_login.asp.

Glad that you are writing again!

Phil 'Filthy' Hurst said...

Unicorn = car?

Where did the car come into it?

Thanks for the address' though

Lucy Ann Wade said...

I told you I was confused!

Brain + alcohol = not good.